Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Caboodle of Women

Oh, feminism
Not really my cup of tea. Unless you're talking about this kind:
Women who want their voices heard? Women who want the individual rights everyone should have inherently? If that's the feminism you're talking about, then... I get it.

I'm still not a feminist. I campaign for individual rights for all... no playing favorites.

If it's the sexual revolution 60's kind of feminism you want me to get on board with
Then no. I can't sympathize much.

Now, this isn't a political debate blog. I do that pretty much everywhere else (my family really must love me, because they only voice their annoyance or roll their eyes once in a while after I drop something political into everyday conversation. [I love you too fam! I'm sorry I do these things!]) This is a place for happy thoughts
Thus, I won't go into any politically-charged details.

Margaret D. Nadauld once said, "The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."

I'm thinking I'll start a Virtuous Women Series, where I'll be interviewing/discussing women I admire most: Women from stories, movies, public figures, and most importantly, those I know and love.

Not that I don't admire men too (Captain Moroni, Neal A. Maxwell, Dwight Howard, George Washington, Malcolm Reynalds, Tony Stark, Thomas S. Monson, Deron Williams, My Dad, etc.)

I think women to look up to are more rare. That makes them precious.

I like to seek after virtue, remember? Proverbs 31:10 illustrates my point:
"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies"
(This print hangs on my wall. It's caption reads, "Add to your faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge.")

I think it's good to admire certain things about people: Their traits, qualities, talents, and virtues.

Here are few of my favorite spunky, lovable female heroines (Don't go thinking they're perfect, just remember they're human like the rest of us. They have stuff about them I admire and that makes them uniquely great):

Jo from Little Women
This is my favorite Jo, played by June Allyson in the 1949 version.

She exclaims things like, "Christopher Columbus!!" and "Let's be elegant.... or die!"

Plus, she's a writer who adores her family, and uses them as her inspiration. No joke, she's got three sisters like me.

I'm supposed to be Meg, if you go by age order.
(I know what you're thinking, old movie fans. Yes, this is her:)

Meg's okay... I guess. I can't deny though that I was always jealous of my sister when my mom said she was Jo.

(Manda looks more like this Jo.)

She's a leader. She's extremely inspiring and encouraging to women. I feel like I want to be a better person every time I hear her speak.

Peggy from The Best Years of Our Lives
She's sassy. She's smart. She's nurturing and motherly.

She's good to her family
These are very underrated qualities, if you ask me. (Note: This is an oldie but a goodie. Check it out, I dare you.)

Marjorie Pay Hinckley
This lady was wonderful. She was genuine and funny. She was kind-hearted and loving. Even though she and her husband have now passed away, they've left a remarkable legacy.

I'm almost finished reading this:
I've gotten to know her better. It's changed my life, I'd say.

Elizabeth Bennett/Lalita from Pride and Prejudice/Bride and Prejudice
Both are witty and have lots of gumption. One sings catchy Bollywood tunes though, and that is a plus.

Joan of Arc
She was living proof that women can conquer armies. They can win over hearts and minds as well. They can be inspired and used as beacons of light to entire nations. (All of this can be said of Joan of Arc.) She's legendary, but she's also virtuous.

Lucy/Lucille Ball
She's always scheming to make it big. She has big dreams, and she's often an entrepreneur. Lucille Ball and Lucy from the show are hilarious. In my humble opinion, Lucille Ball is the greatest female comedian of all time.

Éowyn
She fights for what she cares about: her people and her country. Not to mention... she kicks butt. No, really. You know what's awesome? When she wields a sword. It's a pretty spectacular scene in the third Lord of the Rings, I'd say. (I won't give it away if you haven't seen it, but if you have, you know the one I'm talking about.)

Elphaba
She's misunderstood: completely demonized by popular opinion. That doesn't stop her. She fights for what she believes in. This gives her heroine-worthy status.

Anne of Green Gables
Ok, you can laugh; I know, it's dorky. She rocks though. She's poetic, she's feisty, she's not apologetic about her brains, and she's friendly and gets to know and love people. She calls the people she loves "kindred spirits." I haven't yet found a better way of saying it.

Ruth
In the Bible, it tells of how she is nurturing and shows great humility. I am of the belief that women and people in general should take care of one another. Ruth is a marvelous example of this.

Audrey Hepburn
In my mind, this woman is definitive of elegance and class. Her flair for French fashion and style just sings. She was a wonderfully generous person in real life too, did you know?

She said, For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

Oprah and Sheri Dew
Never seen these two grouped together? Me neither. But it's for basically the same reason. They know how to be great business women.

We smith girls, we admire business women

Oprah and Sheri are so very clever. Also, who wouldn't want to have the power Oprah has? I mean, she says something is her favorite, and millions flock to support it. That's like my dream.

I can't wait to do the interviews with all the heroic women I actually know. (Guess what, fam: I've been granted an interview with Aunt Lavina!)


When I grow up, I'll be like them.

Look no further than my favorite blogs for some more virtuous and lovely women (Scroll to the bottom to see the buttons!)

****Update: I had this blog completed, when I got some sad news about one of the most virtuous, lovely women I've ever met. She exemplifies what it means to be a virtuous, elect lady. Here is what happened, written in a blog by her mission companion and one by her sister.


I echo her mission companion when I say she's like an angel on earth. She, her children, and her husband need your positive thoughts and prayers right now.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot Elasti-girl and Wendy Moira Angela Darling. But this, as always, was delightful! Why don't you have more followers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitsie, I felt inspired and delighted by this.
    I love these photo stories. So readable.

    I'd like to see more here about the ladies you selected, like Julie, esp. from your lovely point of view. Praps in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Ben, I had a hard time choosing who to put in, but you're right, those two are awesome too:)
    I've decided I'm not doing this for the followers (not that it wouldn't be wicked awesome to get more readers.) If at least one person that reads it is as amused as I am doing it, then I'm happy.

    Manda, I am so happy to have inspired you. You inspire me all the time with your love lists and beautiful photo posts, I hope you know this.

    I will have many more sequels if you want them! Julie B. Beck has lots of great material: bunches of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails